Thursday, March 1, 2012

Perfect pediatric patient

Today was Ella's turn for surgery.  I opted to have her pre-auricular cyst removed due to the recent recurrent infections. It was a relatively minor surgical procedure, but I do not enjoy being on the other end of things one bit. Thankfully we had friends taking care of us at the hospital and seeing familiar friendly faces certainly eased the level of my anxiety.  The staff in the OR was also happy to see me upright as the last sight of me was the dreadful occurrence after Max's birth.

Just like her big sister, Ella was the perfect pediatric patient. Compliant, polite and brave.  I accompanied her back to the OR and held her while she fell asleep with strawberry flavored gas. It was simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking. Ellaroo is still the ham under anesthesia. After she was googly eyed, I placed her on the OR table and kissed her pudgy hand. The wait is always the worst, but at MJH they bring the parents back to the OR almost immediately.

All aspects of the process went well. She woke up slowly without emergence delirium or hysteria. She saw the IV in her foot as a big annoyance, but Playhouse Disney and some apple juice created a good diversion. I tell you, my children are troopers. The nurse and the mama in me was so proud. Aside from some nausea in the car ride home, Ella is great.

And mama is so tired. To bed I go.
BEFORE
  AFTER
Sleepy in PACU
 Back to herself on the Pediatric Unit
 How cute is this wheelchair? I feel like I'm looking at an American Girl catalog.

A big thanks to Lola and Auntie Nida for coming down to watch Max and Julie for taking the kids to school! Sometimes it takes a village.

1 comment:

Julie, the mama said...

I mean, that girl is just plain cute. Any way you look at it. Every picture of her just makes me want to put her in my pocket. LOVE me some School kids.

So glad this was an easy fix!