Ya'll know how I feel about field trips. They are not my favorite thing. However, Open Gate Farm knows how to keep a girl engaged. Cazin had his last field trip this morning at the farm and if I had more cash on me I would have bought all the fresh eggs and meat the van could carry. Farmers Tom and Dave are great educators, especially wonderful with the kids. We all had a great time wandering around with the farmers feeding the animals, learning about them. You can tell how well the animals are taken care of as all of them walk right up to you. Made me feel a little bad when we talked about the slaughter house. Then I thought about tasty pork belly.
I myself got a little attached to a turkey who followed me around puffing his feathers. He would have been the most hilarious part of the experience if not for the runaway sow as well as the attempt to get her back to her station. Cazin's favorite part was collecting the eggs from the coup. Max enjoyed himself watching the animals perched from the Ergo carrier, kicking his legs in excitement.
Being on the farm reminded me of home and that is always a good thing.
Eloise-the-Half-Pint
Several times I was squatting to take a picture and I felt something brush against my back and side. I thought it was one of the kids. Nope. Just my friend.
Run sow, run!
No comments:
Post a Comment