Monday, August 29, 2011

Make-up Monday

Irene was merciful to our piece of Virginia, but that certainly didn't stop people actin' a fool on Friday at the gas stations and grocery stores. We got plenty of rain, cooler weather and mild winds which was fabulous since we celebrated the nuptials of Chris Short & Clare Sweeney on Saturday. It has been amazing watching these two grow, mature and fall in love. When we moved to the Charlottesville area, Clare was a high school sophomore in the Lifeteen program and Chris was a college freshman (I refuse to say "first year") volunteering as a catechist.

On Sunday we spent the day recuperating from Friday night shift as well as the high heel wearing and partying that followed.One thing is for sure, we definitely cannot keep up with our younger counterparts when it comes to late night festivities.

Today was a make-up day. Daily Mass, errands, tidying up and laundry.

I am finding that 1st grade is way more academic than Kindergarten and homework takes more time and assistance with bonus spelling words such as "September" and "backwards." Phew. Take an impatient mama and a frustrated girl. There was a lot of deep breaths and counting to 10 in my head. Regardless, all the hard work is worth it--Jujube got a 108% on her very first spelling test. As a reward for all of her hard work this afternoon, we did a little crafting. She decorated a photo frame for her locker and I attempted to make nursery art for a friend who is expecting a baby boy. I can cook and pick out some cool eye wear, but I am not an artist. When I got the request to help fill baby boy's nursery with nature art, I almost ordered something up, but I thought my artist/art teacher friend would want something homemade and from the heart. With a little borrowed creativity from Etsy, my sweet Jujube said the result "was way better than the original."

The dinner bell is ringing and it is time to finish this day.

 When Jujube is away, big brother chips in. "No Ella, the sandal goes on your left foot! Like dis."
 She seems to always find Jujube's stash of stickers
I am not an artist, but I dug deep into my old school collage skills.
 Hard work pays off!

1 comment:

Julie, the mama said...

UM....HELLLOOOOO....that painting is AWESOME! Seriously. You're over achieving yourself to the point that I am becoming intimidated. :-)