I'm still trying to learn the art of pacing myself especially with 3 young children at the helm and a lately wonky schedule. A challenge, indeed. I cannot WAIT till summer is over. I've never been a huge fan. You know those school systems that go year round? Sign me up for that!
This weekend we traveled eastbound to Norfolk for Julia's Daisy Scout trip to Nauticus so that they could earn their final daisy petal. Something about being courageous and strong by feeding sharks.
Friday night we stopped in Williamsburg to stay with the Gasinks. Always a fun time, but next time a slumber party with all kids in the same room may not be in the game plan.
Back to the sharks. My imagination is pretty (over) active and this is what I pictured: A huge tank filled with hungry sharks, a long staircase up to the top and large, dead fish to throw into the jaws of the menacing sharks. I even pictured wet suits. The reality: a shallow tank with small, bottom feeder sharks and thawed out scallops and shrimp. In all, the museum was tons of fun for Julia. The troop had a seek 'n find on the U.S.S. Wisconsin, learned about sharks & whales, ventured through the Atlantis labyrinth and made ROVs to maneuver them in the water. Her group's ROV was sure funny looking, but it was functional!
Sunday we had aspirations to go to the beach, but headed home instead with promises of going to the pool. We stopped by Pierce's Pitt BBQ for a lunch treat on our drive home and then a short rest period before work last night. Told you, wonky schedule. Bleh.
As promised, I took them to the pool today. The Old Trail pool is wonderful, but sometimes the workers are kind of...blank. And they don't give you much information. For example, when we had our swimming lessons there and I asked them how much it was for non-members to go to the pool. "$5 per person." They forgot to mention that you would need a member with you. It was like having your credit card denied at the store. Literally. They are starting at you blankly wondering why you bothered to show up without a member and I was starting to sweat. Initially it could have been a nightmare with 3 children on the verge of tears, but my brain cells where firing in problem solving mode. Back in the van for a trip to the grocery and then to the Crozet pool where I spent half the price for admission. We all had cooled down after splashing around for a few hours and headed home for dinner and night-nights.
In the middle of the weekend, we heard the devastating news of the Navy Seals who were shot down in Afghanistan. It seemed to be so much more pronounced being in Norfolk and spending time at Holy Trinity Church where many parishioners are military personnel or knew the servicemen who died. It is hard to find words for such tragedy, but Uncle Fr. Dan was able to find the appropriate words in his homily of loss and the still, gentle quiet voice of God. God bless our military and God bless America.
No comments:
Post a Comment