Tuesday, November 1, 2011

All Saints Day


I just found my new favorite thing at the Catholic School: All Saints Day Program. Every year the first graders pick a saint, dress up in costume and recite a memorized speech about the Saint. In front of the whole school and parents. Tears were falling out of my face from the from their sweet voices singing "I Can Only Imagine." Julia did a fabulous job and MFS and I were beaming! Julia chose St. Julia and this was her speech:

I am St. Julia. I was born in South Africa. When I was young I was captured and sold to a pagan. I did not complain and feel sorry for myself, but stayed cheerful and humble because I loved God so much! When I refused to offer sacrifices to false gods, I was put on a cross and died just like Jesus did. My feast day is May 23rd. A lesson from my life is to have fortitude.

We are so proud of all of her efforts in school. She is a great student earning a place in the Enrichment Program. At the parent conference Julia received high praise from her teacher especially in the areas of reading, spelling, handwriting and math. She also said that Julia "just cracks me up."

One day while the small group of girls (including Julia) were waiting with Ms. Ciccarone, they read a poem and it was signed Anonymous. Julia asked what the word meant and her teacher explained that if you don't want anyone to know what you wrote, you can sign it, Anonymous.

Julia with a sly smile, said "Oh! I have a big crush on someone in class."

"Who?" asked Ms. Ciccarone

"James. And I am going to write a letter to him saying I have a crush and sign it Anonymous."

Julia loves to write stories with her journals scattered around the house. She also like to write letters to me when involuntary confined to her room. Like this one.

Mom you dont love me anymore. Write a note back to me here. (And there was a line drawn with an arrow pointing to me assigned spot.)

Kids, oh kids. We are getting back into the swing of things with minimal sleep. MFS and I take turns during late nights with the Max. Today I was all over Charlottesville and reluctantly agreed to help MFS with the rental properties. I reminded him that I did not sign up for slum lord duties, only the benefits. I don't get headaches, but realized my completely exhausted sign. A painful eye twitch. Anymore days like these and I would be the equivalent of the I Dream of Genie Garbage Pail Kid.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

I get the tired eye twitch too. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I added two more kids to my brood AND slum lord duties.