Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend 2011

So happy that the long weekend is still not over because I need the extra day for rest. Labor Day for us tends to be just as the name says.

We headed to upstate NewYork Thursday night for the School family's 2nd annual New York State Fair trip. The kids look forward to the rides and MFS and I look forward to fried foods. This year, we tried a few different exhibits and found more interactive kid activities like digging for fossils. Julia was able to hold and pet baby chicks while we prevented Cazin from squeezing the life out of them. Wonderful Aunt Maria took Ella to the zoo with cousin Nina while we were at the fair and we later met them back at the house to have dinner with Great-grandma School and family. They also spoiled us with another treat, an anniversary cake from the Freemont Bakery. Another Stracuzzi/School NY favorite.

Saturday morning we hit the Syracuse market and Columbus Bakery. Pints of heirloom tomatoes for $1. Big bushels of peaches for $10. Bright bouquets of flowers for $5. Fresh Italian bread as well as sharp provolone cheese and delicious pepperoni. The deals and flavors are unreal.

On our way home we stopped in Harrisburg for Mass before making a dinner stop with Lolo & Lola at the Cracker Barrel. I don't think I was hungry the entire day, but that didn't stop me from consuming some biscuits and brisket. Of course after a whole car ride of eating candy, bread, cheese and cheese puffs. Come Friday, my OB may not be praising me for my stringent weight gain.

Sunday morning Jujube and I headed to a baby shower in Gloucester for our old friend, Leah Hackett. Leah and Adrian now live in Chattanooga, TN so I had to see her and celebrate the impending arrival of baby Andrew. Though it involved another lengthy drive, Jujube and I enjoyed some quality time together, just the two of us.

Now our extra day is almost over and I spent it nesting. I am up to my eyeballs in laundry, but the nursery is almost complete. By complete I mean fresh sheets, mattress raised to infant level and bumpers tied back on the crib. For a break, I took Jujube and Cazin on a shopping trip to gather up the remainder of our baby needs. They were just tickled with all of the new fangled baby stuff out there and many times tried to talk me into cute outfits or gadgets.

T minus 4 weeks! We are still throwing names around (you know how we are), but one thing is certain, whether it is printed on his birth certificate or not, the kids will call baby boy Max. They are stuck on it and will not have any other option. Magnificent Max. It has a nice ring to it.
 
 Cazin's excitement starts to fade at the bumper cars
 Having fun!
 Then little brother starting to spoil it.
 
 
 
 Missed walking the llamas, but who can resist the swine?
 
 Annual sand sculpture. This year, a tribute to 9/11.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Tracy said...

That fair looks awesome! What a fun way to labor through the long weekend.

Can't wait to meet "Max" in 4 weeks!