Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Terrific Tuesday

The kids slept in today so I skipped Jazzercise and vowed to get on the treadmill (didn't happen). But what did happen was a productive day of laundry, ironing, coupon organizing, a haircut for Cazin, and putting the advice of the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" into action for Ella. Ella started to sleep through the night right before she was 3 months old and we were in heaven. Now because of all the traveling and "roll with the punches" summer schedule, her sleep cycles are all over the place. Yesterday Mike emerged from the basement with the dusty book that has served us well the past 4 years. It worked so well today that I want to change the title to "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy & Productive Mom."

I was feeling so good today that I also decided to cook tilapia for dinner tonight. The kids are not incredibly picky so I am able to vary my menu a bit, but seafood is not a favorite. When asked, Julia would adamantly state that she hates fish, but in reality she eats it because I tell her that it is meat. Same with calamari. If Jujube knew it was fish, she would refuse to eat it even though it is tasty. So out came my little lie as well as tilapia with mango salsa for me, parmesan crusted tilapia for the kids. We also had some good dinner conversation.

Jujube: Why does God love us?
K: Because He has the biggest heart you can imagine.
Jujube: How do you know?
K: What did God do for us? (My answer the question with a question technique)
Jujube: Jesus died for us to save us...Save everyone?! Well it doesn't matter because when we die we'll be in heaven with God. Mama, what does heaven look like?
K: I don't know. I've never been. What do you think heaven looks like?
Jujube: It looks like God.
K: What does God look like?
Jujube: He has a mustache. And dark hair...(pause)...He looks like daddy. (Another pause, smiling) But he doesn't go to work.
K: Oh really?! What is God like?
Jujube: He loves people. He also drinks juice...What is there to eat in God's land?

From there the conversation turned into a lot of silliness about what was there to eat in God's land...those of you who know Jujube can guess what she said. But she never fails to amaze and amuse me. Auntie Nida gave her a rosary last Thursday and she has been obsessed with it. Aside from the Apostle's Creed, O My Jesus and Hail Holy Queen, she knows all of the other prayers of the rosary. Today I heard her praying by herself in her room. I am pleasantly surprised because her attention span is not the longest. It would be fair to say that Cazin has longer periods of focus. So I am trying to think of a creative, yet simple way of teaching her the rosary with all of the mysteries. My guide is a little wordy and it doesn't have fun pictures. Any advice, Catholic teachers out there?

Today was good. Cazin had less screaming tantrums...a relief to my ears. His listening skills are improving slightly as well as his ability to form sentences. Time out was empty today for both kids. Maybe the fact that I signed Julia up for a week of Fairyland Ballet Camp was the cause of her compliant behavior today, but I'll take it!

Below is another bright event of the day: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star with some head banging action.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Love Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby (LOVE it!). Love the head-banging rendition of TTLS too.

max harrell said...

Love that singing and that sweet, sweet voice. You will forget many, many things about the kids but I hope you never forget that voice. I know the angels must sing exactly like Cazin. Love you and miss ya'll. Hope Ella gets her groove on real soon. Boss is doing so much better. He is happpiest baby on the block this week!!!