
I have been waiting to post on my grandmother's funeral because I wanted to include my cousin Cherry's eulogy. The funeral was lovely and the priest even mentioned Wowowee! in the homily. It was my grandmother's favorite show. We further celebrated her life with a lively memorial reception Filipino style filled with food, music, dancing AND karaoke. I had a feeling that Mama Taba was smiling down upon us. Though it was a whirlwind trip to CA and back it was a huge blessing to spend time with family and say goodbye to Mama Taba.
We are here to celebrate the life of Carmen. My name is Carmencita and I was named after her being the eldest grandchild. Mama Taba was what we fondly called her. It means plump or round, but curvy at the same time. I have a feeling she is looking over us and appreciating this--all of us gathered here in her memory. Mama Taba was a woman who led a very colorful life. She got married at a very, very young age, had children, became widowed at the age of 39, but yet found herself in love a second time to a much older man, 20 years her senior. My grandparents lived a happy life together until Daddy Cazin passed in 1972. Once again, she was alone without a husband. This was also the beginning of her bouts with multiple health issues. Nevertheless, Mama Taba had a passion for life. She has always been a very social person and she love the party! My mom used to always tell me that there was never a week when she did not have a new outfit. She also loved going to the movies and her favorite actor was Clark Gable. Grandma also had a special relationship with food. It was her passion. She loved to EAT!
Growing up I remember how much I, with my brothers Billy and Gary enjoyed visiting Mama Taba. She was still living in an apartment in San Pablo among Shaw Blvd. Mary Anne wasn't born yet...There always was a huge meal waiting for us: pancakes, eggs, bacon and hot dogs. It was a treat every time we visited. It was life we were in heaven! Needless to say, the loved to cook--one of her most admirable talents which I unfortunately did not inherit. Although...she would always tell me that I have the potential if I only would try. True to her vision, many, many years later I once tried to cook. It was my most infamous PININAHANG MANOK (chicken in pineapple sauce)! I knew I nailed it. You know why?? Because Mama Taba loved it! To those of you who knew her well, she was a very tough critic, especially when it comes to food. Much later she continued to ask me to prepare it again, but I never did--one thing I am now regretful of...
Taba love me, as she did all her grandchildren, but she could be strict too. When I first came to the U.S. in my 20s and lived with her, she did not like me staying out late with friends. Come home late, she would give me the cold shoulder. That always affected me reaching a point when I had to call mom and dad in the Philippines to ask if I could come home and live with them...They said, "NO."
Eventually everything always turned our fine between us. I just had to learn to woo her back and make CARINO...She was a proud woman, but thoughtful and giving with a very charming personality. Because of her undeniable beauty, people mistook her to be a snob or "suplada." Well...she could be id she did not know you.
Mama Taba was a tough cookie and a survivor. She had been in and out of the hospital and, for a time, it seemed that she didn't mind it. It was like her second home. Whenever she started feeling better, still lying in her hospital bed, I would fix her eyebrows in place, apply a little color of lipstick on her and comb her hair. She loved being pampered! In return, she would give me her SWEETEST SMILE and say, "Thank you." That was our special time together.
I have much consolation in the good feelings my memories give of Mama T. I will miss you, Mama T. Your lovely smile, your infectious laughter and fun-loving ways. Thank you for enriching my life and for the many wonderful memories. In closing, I would like to share this special prayer with you.
Growing up I remember how much I, with my brothers Billy and Gary enjoyed visiting Mama Taba. She was still living in an apartment in San Pablo among Shaw Blvd. Mary Anne wasn't born yet...There always was a huge meal waiting for us: pancakes, eggs, bacon and hot dogs. It was a treat every time we visited. It was life we were in heaven! Needless to say, the loved to cook--one of her most admirable talents which I unfortunately did not inherit. Although...she would always tell me that I have the potential if I only would try. True to her vision, many, many years later I once tried to cook. It was my most infamous PININAHANG MANOK (chicken in pineapple sauce)! I knew I nailed it. You know why?? Because Mama Taba loved it! To those of you who knew her well, she was a very tough critic, especially when it comes to food. Much later she continued to ask me to prepare it again, but I never did--one thing I am now regretful of...
Taba love me, as she did all her grandchildren, but she could be strict too. When I first came to the U.S. in my 20s and lived with her, she did not like me staying out late with friends. Come home late, she would give me the cold shoulder. That always affected me reaching a point when I had to call mom and dad in the Philippines to ask if I could come home and live with them...They said, "NO."
Eventually everything always turned our fine between us. I just had to learn to woo her back and make CARINO...She was a proud woman, but thoughtful and giving with a very charming personality. Because of her undeniable beauty, people mistook her to be a snob or "suplada." Well...she could be id she did not know you.
Mama Taba was a tough cookie and a survivor. She had been in and out of the hospital and, for a time, it seemed that she didn't mind it. It was like her second home. Whenever she started feeling better, still lying in her hospital bed, I would fix her eyebrows in place, apply a little color of lipstick on her and comb her hair. She loved being pampered! In return, she would give me her SWEETEST SMILE and say, "Thank you." That was our special time together.
I have much consolation in the good feelings my memories give of Mama T. I will miss you, Mama T. Your lovely smile, your infectious laughter and fun-loving ways. Thank you for enriching my life and for the many wonderful memories. In closing, I would like to share this special prayer with you.
"I am home in Heaven, dear ones, oh so happy and so bright.
There is perfect joy and beauty in the everlasting light.
All the pain and grief over, every restless yearning passed.
I am now at peace forever, safely home in Heaven at last."
There is perfect joy and beauty in the everlasting light.
All the pain and grief over, every restless yearning passed.
I am now at peace forever, safely home in Heaven at last."

2 comments:
This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing Mama Taba with us. What a wonderful woman. And such an inspiration for how to live.
you r blessed so am i if you get this i am new at this
Post a Comment