Sunday, February 7, 2010

SUPERbowl Sunday

Today was just gorgeous. Beautiful blue skies made the white snow against the evergreens pop. The final snowfall total in Crozet was 14 inches. Our roads are clear so we ventured out this morning over Afton Mountain to eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel. On the way back we drove through Crozet and admired the scenery.

We took it easy the rest of the day till church time. St. Thomas Aquinas never cancels Mass. I take it back. When UVA has a home game, Saturday night Mass is canceled because the university shuts down Alderman Road and also uses the church lot for parking. Tonight, St. Thomas did not have power, but we still had Mass this evening. So we picked up Julie and headed into town. Last year on Superbowl Sunday the Gospel reading was about the Beatitudes. This was Fr. Luke's homily: "Blessed are those who attend Mass on Superbowl Sunday, for they shall receive a short homily." And the man sat down. Tonight we had Mass by candlelight with an acoustic style Lifeteen Band. It was great. Chilly, but great.

As I type, I am watching the game and routing for the Saints to take home the title. Big surprise, huh?

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. Glad you guys got out and about today. AND to church. We've been canceled two weeks in a row now, and I think I'm developing a twitch. Even my kids are missing it!

Julie, the mama said...

The pictures are gorgeous. Funny story about the homily.

Glad y'all had such a great day.

Now, hope that sun thaws y'all out until next year.