Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cutest little girl. Ever.

We spent another weekend on the low down. We had plans to go a Buddy Reunion (my group of my high school friends) in WV and spend a day on the Potomac, but night shift had me feeling run down and not in any condition to make the drive. I am finally listening to what my body is dictating these days.

MFS was on diocesan duty this weekend so the kids and I stayed out of the heat, took R & R time, drained the cell phone battery from Angry Birds, played games, read tons of books and loved on little Ellaroo. Every single day Jujube makes the "Ella is the cutest little girl. EVER!" statement. Today Ella told me multiple times, "I not Ellaroo. I cutie-pie." When she mixes up pronouns saying things like "I want to hold you" with her arms stretched wide to be picked up, we all have a hard time not smothering her with kisses and hugs. And when she listens to your heart with the stethoscope wrapped around her belly, Ellaroo likes to say that your vital organ is saying "I wuv you, heart."

We also ingested quite a bit of junk since I passed my glucose test. Saturday night MFS brought home my new favorite sandwich: the Italian sub from Wawa. Next to the Bellair Market, that place has some tasty treats. He also had dinner ready tonight when Jujube and I got back home from Mass.
 
 
 Listening to my heart. Really my expanding belly.
Funny story to share. I wish I could get rid of my one night shift, but occasionally something happens that makes it worthwhile. I had this older lady who was admitted for observation after a procedure. In report I was informed that she could be "a little difficult" so I saved her assessment for last. Introducing myself, she just stared up at me in confusion.

Where is muh white nurse? She left for the evening and I am your nurse till morning.
WHERE is muh white nurse? She went home.
ALL da white nurses gone? You don't want me as your nurse? (Silence. And more staring.) You want a white nurse?
I WANT a WHITE nurse. I don't want no nurse o' color.  Okay, I'll go talk to my charge nurse.

It's a good thing that she threw her sheet over her head at that moment because I couldn't keep a serious face anymore. I laughed all the way down the hall. What I wanted to say when she put the sheet over her head: "Just keep the sheet over your head and look through it so that I appear white." Darn patient satisfaction. My charge nurse went down the hall to talk with her, but she kept the sheet over her head and would not respond to voice OR nudging. At. All. I told el jefe that if she would have walked into the room and declared herself a white nurse then we could have gotten a closer look and a little more information for my assessment. Patients CRACK me up. Sometimes.

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

I can't believe you didn't call me immediately about the white nurse comment. HAHAHAHA!!! I laughed so loud when I read that that I can't believe I didn't wake up this whole house. HAHAHAH!!!!

And I am pretty sure Ellaroo is the cutest little girl. Ever. OH MY GOODNESS, she is adorable.

And don't these 3rd kids have it made? I always thought being the oldest was the coolest until I saw all the love that the baby gets!

Tracy said...

Oh good gracious, people can be ridiculous.

Please tell sweet Ellaroo if her big siblings or Mama ever get too tired to pick her up, to give me a ring. I'll hold that cutie pie til the cows come home. Love this blog post.