Monday, July 11, 2011

Learn to help yourself

The alarm clock rang a little too early this morning for my taste, but we had to be up and at 'em to make it to the service station for an oil change before I went into work for a measly hour to learn about tethered scanners. After the super quick service, the gas light was blinking so we headed to fill up the van. While the tank was filling I was talking with the kids and giving a heads up on the seating arrangement when baby boy arrives. I told Cazin that he would need to be more proficient in unbuckling himself because I couldn't reach back there with ease once the seat in front of him was occupied. They all stared at me and I we moved on to another subject.

Later down the road I hear a little argument going on in the back between Jujube & Cazin.

NO! Stop it! I will not! Yes Cazin, soon you are going to have to learn to help yourself.

No! I will not help myself! You will help me! Cazin. No. Because you are growing up you have to learn to get yourself out of the car seat.

Stop talking! Stop talking in my ear! I am NOT talking in your ear.

Yeah, you are! Now I am. (Leaning over to him) LA-LA-LA-LA-LA....

Cazin is a buffet kind of kid. He is choosy when it comes to tasks he wants to accomplish independently letting his big sister shoulder the load when is comes to things like cleaning. Or unbuckling the car seat. Tonight at swimming class he sure didn't look back for any guidance from any of us. And Jujube was good about keeping Ellaroo company in the shallow end while Cazin's class went first. She usually watches from the sidelines like a little mother with her arms crossed whispering to herself, "Cazin, do it like that" or "Oh, Cazin." It's just like me in the car with my foot on the pretend brake when I'm a passenger. (That ones for you, MFS).

Despite the scorching day, it was a very pleasant evening sitting by the pool with my feet in the water. After one class, I can tell lessons from ACAC at the Old Trail pool are much better than last year's experience at Crozet Park. Even Jujube voiced her preference without my influence. Smaller class, more organized, not crowded and aesthetically more pleasing with the mountains in the background. It was a perfect end to the day and tired the kids out so much that they requested to go straight to bed after dinner and forgo a bedtime story. I will enjoy these next 2 weeks of swim lessons.

 
 
 

1 comment:

Julie, the mama said...

I'm glad to know that mine isn't the only one who expects big sister to handle all the dirty work.

Can you believe you are about to have FOUR kids in that van??? FOUR!!!