Friday, March 27, 2009

Dinner with Mormons

Last night we had Mormon missionaries over for dinner. I have cooked for many, but this was a first. MFS loves Mormons and their mission of evangelism. I brought out roasts from our own stockpile of meat in the freezer as well as hashbrown casserole (which I learned is referred to as "funeral potatoes" in the Mormon world). It was an enjoyable evening chatting about beliefs and practices as well as their experiences as missionaries. They even shared their family activity night where we prayed, sung a hymn, played a rousing game of "Simon Says," and had a lesson. They are some of the nicest, respectful men I have ever met. Since we are in the lenten season, I must confess that I am a bit of a catholic snob. Though I don't know much, I always picture my DNA helix embedded with rosaries, crucifixes, and Santo Nino statues (shout out to the Filipinos! Wowowee Boom Tarat Tarat!). It is a part of who I am. I have never questioned it. Be assured you will still have to pry a rosary from my death grip in my coffin, but I am challenging myself to learn more so that I can converse and/or defend my beliefs better. Something tells me I will be serving up some more "funeral potatoes" in the future.

Today was awesome. It was the first day that I didn't feel like I had something looming over my head like tasks or deadlines. We had playtime with the Bouceks and spent the afternoon reading, playing and doing crafts. Now we did have our daily does of drama when Cazin peed on a library book after bath time. I turned my back for 10 seconds gathering up the diaper and pajamas and I come back in the room to find a wet book and a dark stain on the carpet. Of course he starts crying when I raise my voice and when I ask, "What do you say for peeing on the floor and book?" (I'm waiting for "sorry") He responds "Peas" with a pouty lip. I had to hide my big smile--we have been trying to get him to say "please" for months! The boy would rather go thirsty than say "please" for his cup. I'll take it! My lividness totally melted away when I said good night and "love you" and heard the usual "Love you too, see you in the morning!" from Jujube and for the first time Cazin said "Love you too." My heart is full.

P.S. If you are at the library and see Wag A Tail, leave it on the bookshelf.

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

It is no wonder your kids are so funny. This blog had me laughing out loud.

Lauren said...

Wow, you had Family Home Evening with the Mormon missionaries. So fun.

It was great to see you today. I'm going to make your blog one of my new "must reads."